
Last week I flew up from Melbourne to Hamilton Island, one of the Whitsunday Island group. From there I transferred onto a beautiful 40ft schooner, for three days of relaxing sailing and snorkelling around the islands. We (about 12 of us) were well looked after by the skipper and his mate, and aside from pulling on the odd rope, managed to escape actually doing any sailing/work ourselves!

It was windy enough for a few decent sails, although being a heavy wooden tall ship we didn't go very fast. The islands and beaches were absolutely stunning, especially the famous swirling sounds and turquoise waters of Whitehaven beach. Meals consisted of fresh fish bbq'd on a grill off the back of the boat - absolutely delicious. On the third day we sailed back to Airlie Beach, on the Australian mainland, and I spent a night there. Airlie Beach is a strange transfer town, full of backpacker hostels and cheap bars, everyone chatting about where they are heading to next and trying to arrange lifts up or down the coast. Of course I had already booked a flight straight to Brisbane, so no crowded backpacker coach for me thank goodness!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home