Sydney suburbs
Over the past week I have got to know central Sydney fairly thoroughly and have started to explore some of the suburbs, some of which are lovely. I took a bus over to Bondi beach for a swim – one of those “must do” things, even though everyone maintains that Bondi is actually a dump. I didn’t find it too bad! Crowded and full of English people obviously, but at least it was sunny and the sea was clean and jellyfish-free, thank goodness.I then headed north to Watson’s Bay, to watch the sunset over the city in the distance – absolutely stunning. I also walked to the top of the cliff to see the mouth of Sydney Harbour, with Manly in the distance on the other side.
I visited Manly itself the next day, and sunbathed on the beach with what felt like the entire population of Sydney plus most of Manchester and Ireland. It is a lovely ocean beach though, with great looking surf.On Saturday night I went over to a friend’s house in Balmain, and we had a fun evening trying out all the different bars there. Balmain used to be where the dock workers lived, but is now full of young professionals, attracted by the great view of the harbour and its proximity to the city. Nevertheless, the narrow streets, full of traditional houses with wrought iron verandahs, are blissful peaceful and it feels a million miles away from the hubbub of the city, rather than just a 10 min ferry ride away.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home